One of the most important things you can do as part of your workout routine is to eat properly both before and after your visits to the gym. You want to eat the types of foods that help your diet as well as help repair the muscles used during and after a workout. More importantly, you want to have strength and energy throughout your workout. Most commonly, the best types of food for a pre workout meal consist of high carbohydrates, moderate protein, and some simple sugars.
What Should I Eat Before I Workout?
Before you hit the gym to exercise, here are a few meals you can try. Remember, finding what works best for you is important. Everyone is a little different.
- Oatmeal with honey and milk.
- I personally like to use the Designer Whey Protein available at Netrition. It has all the proportions of carbs, protein, and sugars you need to have a good workout. This is great for pre and post workout.
- Whole grain cereal with low fat milk
- Banana with Peanut Butter
- Saltine Crackers with Peanut Butter
- Trail Mix
There are tons of pre workout meal recommendations, the list could go on. The key is to remember that most importantly you need a decent amount of carbs, and a decent amount of protein. Don’t over think it. Try something out and keep an eye out for results. If it works, stick with it. If it doesn’t work, try another pre workout meal.